All visitors to Ethiopia require visas. The only exceptions are nationals from Djibouti and Kenya and travelers who arrive in Addis Ababa Bole International Airport to catch a connecting flight. Until further notice, the Embassy will only be processing Diplomatic and Service Visas by appointment only. All other routine visas should be applied for by post, online at evisa.gov.et, or on arrival at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport.
All consular and diaspora services currently being offered on an appointment basis at the Embassy are suspended, until further notice. This also includes in-person collections.
- Please note that without a prior appointment, the consular team will be unable to deal with your case and you will be asked to book an appointment for a future date. To avoid disappointment, schedule an appointment by contacting us on 613-565-6637.
- Effective June 1, 2018, the Main Department for Immigration and Nationality Affair, in collaboration with Ethiopian Airlines, rolled out its e-visa service to all international visitors to Ethiopia. Therefore, all applicants are urged to apply for their visas online, exclusively at www.evisa.gov.et
- The Consular Section ONLY accepts Money Order or Certified Check payments for all Consular Services
- Payments by cash, credit and debit cards are NOT accepted.
Please take note of the following requirements for successful visa application:
- Passport or official travel document (valid for at least six months)
- A duly completed application form;
- One recent colored passport-size picture;
- A copy of Air Ticket, for tourist visa applicants;
- Visa application Fee (Fee has to be in USD for online application);
- A self-addressed EXPRESS PREPAID return envelope must be attached when an application is submitted by mail.
- A note verbal is required for holders of diplomatic or service passport or laissez passer of international organizations;
- A copy of residence permit or student permit for non-Canadian passport holders;
- For children under the age of 18 yrs, a statement allowing a minor to travel abroad made by a non-traveling parent must be attached with a copy of his/her identification card.
- The processing time is three business days from the date of complete submission.
Types Of Visa
Apply For Your Visa Online
Apply your visa online via our online e-visa website below.
Please refer the following requirements for Ethiopian e-VISA
- Nationals of African States who can’t make e-Visa payment online can apply online and make the payment on arrival at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport in cash.
- Please carefully read and comply to the important notices and guidelines stated in each step of the application form.
- The validity of Ethiopian e-Visa starts from the date you intend to enter Ethiopia not from date of issue.
- Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the date you intend to enter Ethiopia.
- e-Visa application fees are not refundableA passport size photo and scanned copy of passport is required
Frequently Asked Questions
You can apply for a visa either in person at the Embassy, by post or courier, on arrival at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport or online. Visit our website for further information.
As visas are valid from the date of issue, we recommend that you apply for a visa nearer towards the time of arrival. Business visa applicants are required to obtain approval from the Main Department of Immigration and Nationality Affairs prior to applying for a visa at the Embassy. Please allow at least 21 days.