New Ethiopian Passport
For A Child Born Abroad
A child born outside of Ethiopia to an Ethiopian citizen parent(s) is eligible for Ethiopian citizenship.
The parent must answer all the questions outlined in the application form.
Applications must be made in person at the Embassy. You require an appointment to apply for an Ethiopian Passport at the Embassy.
Applicants under the age of 14 are exempted from providing fingerprints.
1. Required documents.
Before applying for a new Ethiopian passport, the following condition should be fulfilled. You are required to submit the following documents in support of your application.
Two copies of documents certifying the parent(s) Ethiopian citizenship.
The following documents are acceptable:
Copy of the parent(s) passport
Copy of child's birth certificate;
The birth certificate must be certified by the legalization Office of the Canadian government.
We will not accept certificates which have not been authenticated.
Canadian permanent residence card (if applicable)
Four recent passport-sized (3cm by 4cm) color photographs (with white background). The photograph should be full face without sunglasses, hat or other head covering unless for ethnic or religious reasons (Both ears must be visible). Please write your name on the back of the photograph in BLOCK CAPITAL letters. Please note that we may not accept photographs that do not meet these specifications.
Fingerprint which must be taken from the nearest police station or commissionaires should be stamped and signed by the fingerprinting services mentioning their complete address (if applicable).
Complete the form known as ‘Travel without document’’ carefully. Please do not forget to write the name, address, and phone number of the immediate family (if applicable).
Once the above requirements are met, the application will be forwarded to Ethiopian immigration in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia for the further screening process. The Ethiopian immigration office will notify us of the screening result within a month time.
Once a greenlight is given through the preliminary screening process the passport application will proceed.
2. Download and complete the application form
When the application for a new Ethiopian passport is accepted by Ethiopian immigration, the following new passport requirements have to be fulfilled.
- You must complete two copies of the Application Form
- The form must be completed in BLOCK CAPITAL letters in either blue or black ink.
- You must complete the form to the best of your ability, answering all the required questions clearly. Your application may not be processed if you fail to provide all necessary information.
- Parent or guardian signature and write the date on the form, where asked.
- Original or notarized copy of required document.
- Four recent passport-sized (3cm by 4cm) color photographs (with white background). The photograph should be full face without sunglasses, hat or other head covering unless for ethnic or religious reasons (Both ears must be visible). Please write your name on the back of the photograph in BLOCK CAPITAL letters. Please note that we may not accept photographs that do not meet these specifications.
- Passport fee $82.56 CAD dollar money order or certified check which is payable to Embassy of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia.
- A self-addressed express prepaid return envelope must be provided when an application sent by mail.
- Fingerprint must be taken at the local police station or concerned authorities and authenticated by the notary public or appropriate Authorities (May not be needed if already taken on the preliminary process) (If applicable).
- Copy of parent's passport for minor (below 18 yrs. of age) if applicable.
- Copy of birth certificate for minor (below 18 yrs. of age) if applicable
Please note that a person who has a Canadian travel document should not apply for new Ethiopian passport.
3. Fees and Payment
The correct fee must be enclosed with your application.
The following methods of payment are accepted:
- Debit or credit card
- Banker’s Draft
- Postal Orders – made payable to “The Ethiopian Embassy”.
|TYPE OF TRAVEL DOCUMENT||No. of Pages||FEE|
|Ordinary Passport||32||82.56 CAD|
4. Submitting your application to the Embassy.
All applications must be made in person at the Embassy as you will be required to provide fingerprints.
You may submit your application at any time during the Consular Section’s working hours. See opening hours for further information.
You do not require an appointment to submit your application.
Please make sure that you bring all the required documents.
5. Processing times and return of passport.
It takes approximately 45 days to process an Ethiopian Passport application.
Consular Section will notify you when your passport has been issued and ready for collection.
All applicants are required to collect their passports in person at the Consular Section.
New Passport for A Child Born Abroad
Please submit your application (Below) to the following address:
Embassy of Ethiopia
275 Slater St, #1001, Ottawa ON K1P 5H9