The Department’s activities include: conducting interactive meetings and group discussions with members of the Diaspora aimed at providing information and clarification on issues of concern; encouraging and facilitating Diaspora participation in business and investment activities in Ethiopia; supporting
knowledge and technology transfer initiatives, by establishing links with the relevant institutions in Ethiopia; assisting members of the Diaspora to open Foreign Currency Diaspora Accounts in Pounds Sterling (GBP); facilitating the establishment of productive and meaningful synergies between Diaspora Civic, Professional, Community and Development associations and their local counterparts in Ethiopia and; promoting the opportunities and mitigating the challenges associated with the country’s existing Diaspora policies and directives.
Opening A Bank Account
Ethiopians and Foreign Nationals of Ethiopian origin living and working outside Ethiopia are eligible to open a Diaspora Bank Account with the Commercial Bank of Ethiopia. You can open a Diaspora Account in 3 easy steps. For further information on the types of accounts available, please visit the Commercial Bank of Ethiopia website.
Download and complete the application form.
Please do not sign the application form. You will be required to sign the form at the Embassy.
Upon receipt of your application, a consular officer will contact you to take payment over the phone.
Legalization Office at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Ethiopian Diaspora Mortgage Loan
The Commercial Bank of Ethiopia has designed a mortgage product for all Ethiopians and Foreign Nationals of Ethiopian Origin living abroad, aged 18 years and above.
The Ethiopian Diaspora Mortgage Loan allows eligible applicants to purchase or construct a residential property by accessing a loan product with the following features:
- Minimum equity contribution of 20% of the cost of purchase or construction in foreign currency
- The Bank will finance the remaining 80% of the cost in local currency at a minimum interest rate of 8.5% per annum
- Loan period will be for a maximum of 20 years
- Loan repayments will be executed in US Dollars (USD), Pounds Sterling (GBP) or Euros.
Further information on the requirements and process can be found below:
- A valid foreign passport
- A valid Ethiopian Diaspora card (yellow card)
- Two recent, passport-sized colour photographs
- Marriage certificate, if applicable
- Employment letter verifying annual gross and net income from employer OR a recently issued tax return
- Bank Statement covering last 12 months issued by a bank in the country where you are resident
- If applicable, power of attorney, a copy of the agent(s) ID and two recent, passport-sized colour photographs
- If applicable, a copy of your employment contract
- Where applicant is self-employed or a business-owner: financial statements for at least three consecutive years; valid trade licence and trade registration certificate; and tax payment certificate.
- A completed Laissez-passer application form
We cannot accept forms submitted by email.
- A formal application letter
A formal application letter detailing the reason for your application.
- Documents certifying your citizenship
Documents allowed are ID Cards, Birth Certificates, Copy of your Passport, etc.
- Two recent, passport-sized color photographs
The photograph should be full face without sunglasses, hat or other head covering unless for ethnic or religious reasons.
The photo should be attached to the application form by paper clip or another non-permanent means. DO NOT staple the photographs to the application form.
Please write your name on the back of the photograph in BLOCK CAPITAL letters.
Please note that we may not accept photographs that do not meet these specifications.
- The application fee
A list of the fees can be found here.
How To Apply For An Ethiopian Diaspora Mortgage Loan
Opening a Bank Account in 3 simple steps.
Following the opening of your Mortgage Savings Account, deposit your equity contribution of 20% of the cost of the intended property purchase in foreign currency.
Upon fulfilling the equity contribution of 20%, request the remaining 80% equity from the Branch Consumer and Housing Credit Centre.